Glycolic acid peel skincare Treatment
Glycolic acid, derived from sugar cane, stimulates new skin healthy growth by sloughing off the surface dead skin cells to make your skin natural-looking, smooth, and bright. Glycolic acid skin care products can be used to treat acne scarring, skin aging, and skin sun-damage.
How does glycolic acid skin care treatment work?
The skin care product we use is a prescription only, strong glycolic peel, licensed for physician use only to rejuvenate your dead skin cells and you skin looking naturally smooth and bright.. The skin should be treated with home skin care products containing a mild glycolic acid for 2 weeks before the treatment, this will help prepare the skin and make skin heal faster after treatment. During the procedure, the skin is cleansed with a pre-peel solution and then the glycolic peel is painted onto the skin, like a mask. It is left on for 1 minute and then cleansed off.
Generally a series of 6 skin treatments administered weekly is recommended, however single skin treatments regularly can also achieve excellent results.
Can anybody have this skin care treatment?
You should not have a glycolic skin care peel if you have been prescribed accutane medication in the last year. You should also avoid glycolic peels if you have kidney failure. If you have any skin health problems, such as open sores or active herpes (cold sore) infection, treatment should be postponed until the skin has healed.
Are there any side effects to using glycolic acid peel?
You will experience a mild prickling sensation during treatments. Treatment may make the skin slightly red for a short time, this is often more obvious in those with fair skin. Most people who have this treatment to their skin find they have no side-effects afterwards. After 2-3 days you may notice some skin flaking as the treatment makes the dead cells slough off. This is normal and is not obvious.
Glycolic Acid Peels: Pre and Post Care Advice
- For 2 weeks before this skin care treatment, please use your home skin care products, which contain a mild glycolic acid to help prepare the skin. Facial cleanser should be used daily or a face cream used on alternate days.
- If you use a Retin-A or Retinova cream, please do not use this the night before your treatment. You may continue usage 24hrs after the peel.
- Please avoid any facial treatments in the week before this skin care treatment.
- Men – please avoid shaving n the day of treatment.
- Please avoid any facial treatments for 1 to 2 weeks after treatment. If you are having a course of skin treatments, it is best to cease facials until the course is completed.
- To prevent damage to skin, sun-bathing and tanning booths should be avoided.
- Please use a Factor 30 (UVA and UVB filter) sun cream after treatment to protect the skin for at least 2 weeks after your last treatment.
- Avoid glycolic skin care products for 24hrs after treatment. You may use normal skin products instead.
- Please avoid any facial masks or scrubs during a course of treatments and for 2 weeks after your last treatment.
- Please treat your skin gently!